Monday, May 2, 2011

Japanese Fabric and Zippy Bags!



I'm in love.  True.  I'm in love with Japanese fabric.  I feel a tad silly, though, since I'm not really sure what makes "Japanese" fabric different or better, but whatever...I think it's awesome!  I bought a yard of Etsuko Fuyura designed Echino fabric to make a bag for my daughter.  She picked out the bicycle pattern.  I followed Simplicity Sweet Pea Pattern 2205 for the bag, although I made the strap longer so she can actually wear it as a messenger bag as she rides her bike to and from her classes.  My daughter wasn't keen on the flap, so I opted for a magnetic snap in the open top.  I found the pattern really easy to follow and would recommend it to anyone wanting a pleated mid-sized bag!   I found the fabric scrumptious and so easy to work with.  It's just too bad that it's so damned expensive!  Here are a couple more views..YUM:




I know one way to keep myself in Japanese linen...sell a lot of these little bags!

Front

Back

Inside
I made this little zippy bag for a friend.  She loved it so much, she wanted two more just like it!  I used linen-like fabric for the front and a pattern fabric for the back.  I transferred the image of the Beach Ladies to the front fabric using a transparency and gel medium.  I then embroidered simple lines to embellish each ladies' swimsuit.  I feel "less is more" here, which, like randomness, is actually harder to accomplish than it seems it would be.  Anyhoo, I really like how the bags turned out and will be making more in this small size, which is perfect for a few personal toiletries or some makeup,  as well as medium and larger sizes!  Yes, I so need to get going on opening my Etsy Shop!!!

Reminder:  If you have an April Art Deco Dress and haven't posted it or linked up to it, you can still do that HERE.  Also, May's Rubens Inspired Dresses will be on parade, too.  You can find those HERE.  I know they are going to be fantastic!

Tootles!  
Signature for Blog

7 comments:

Ady said...

Lucky daughter. That is a yummy bag. I love Echino fabric too.

stephanie said...

You had me at Japanese!!

Anonymous said...

CUTE! Can't wait to you get Etsy up and running. Where does one get this awesome Japanese fabric? My little fabric store in my little town is pretty lame on fabric and I always end up in Orlando.

DeeDee said...

Hey Angela

I see you have been busy...I so love your bags... will post about mine soon...

Have a great mothers day

Linda said...

I am in love with Japanese fabric as well...and you're right...it's very expensive. That bag is very cute...I love all the little bags too!

Anonymous said...

Customize the wallpaper, status bar and dock on your iPhone 3G.

You will soon realize how useful it is by the vast array of
applications that are offered through the Apple store.
I have heard of none that provide en prison.

Here is my homepage - cydia download iphone 3g, dashingdayszoneofproximaldevelopment.blogspot.se,

Anonymous said...

best electronic cigarettes, e cigarette health, e cig forum, smokeless cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, e cigarette